Microsoft today announced the deployment of cloud gaming on the Xbox console for a random subset of Alpha Skip-Ahead and Alpha Insiders. With Xbox cloud gaming support, you can enjoy the games without having to wait for an installation and also without filling up your hard drive space.
You can access Xbox Game Pass on your console and search for games with the cloud icon. Once you have opened the games list, you can tap the play icon to start playing the game from the cloud. Microsoft also mentioned that playing Gen 9 exclusive games on Gen 8 consoles is not yet supported. Additionally, you must be physically located in a region supported by cloud gaming and be using an account that has Xbox Game Pass Ultimate to take advantage of this feature.
Current known issues:
- Users may not be able to launch base games that are part of a bundle (Forza Horizon 4, Halo: The Master Chief Collection, etc.) with cloud console games.
- In-game purchases are not supported when playing a game with cloud gaming on console.
- Workaround: You can make the purchase through the store directly on the console or through Xbox.com. You will need to quit the game and restart it for your purchases to appear.
- Insiders may see the same game appear twice in the MRU after choosing to install it.
- Games previously installed on an external drive that is no longer connected to your console will not be able to launch with cloud gaming.
- Some cloud gaming experiences may be displayed in English only.